Q: What type of work requires a contractors license in Polk County?
A: The following type of work requires a contractors license in Polk County
- General Contracting
- Building Contracting
- Residential Contracting
- Air Conditioning
- Commercial Pool/Spa
- Residential Pool/Spa
- Pool/Spa Service and Repair
- Natural and LP Gas
- Sheet Metal
- Solar Water Heating
- Underground Utility
- Mobile Home Set Up
- Marine Structures
Failure to obtain required licenses is a violation of Polk County Ordinance 02-03 and Florida statute and is punishable by a fine of up to $500 for each violation.
For information on obtaining the above licenses contact the Polk County Building Division,Contractor Licensing Section, in the Polk County Administration Building located at 330 West Church Street, Bartow, FL. Phone (863) 534-6492, 6530 or 6080.
Q: As a state certified contractor, what do I need to do to register my license in Polk County to pull permits?
A: You will need to submit the following:
- Copy of current state certification (from Department of Business and Professional Regulation).
- Copy of current occupational license from county or city where business is located.
- General liability insurance certificate, with Polk County Building Division shown as certificate holder.
- Workers compensation insurance certificate with Polk County Building Division shown as certificate holder, or a workers compensation exemption.
- Current mailing address, telephone and fax number.
- Clerical fee - $25.00
Q: As a Contractor is there a list of all the permits pulled using my Contractor ID?
A: Go to the Project/Permit/Contractor Licenses Status viewer at http://permitviewer.polk-county.net/ . Once there click on the Contractor Licenses link, insert your Contractor ID number and press Proceed, then press the Details button next to your name. A new window will appear allowing you to press the "Show all My Permits" button. A list of permit numbers and the statuses of the permits will be listed in date order.
For all other questions please contact the Building Division,Contractor Licensing Section by phone (863-534-6080); or fax (863-534-5922). The office hours are Monday-Friday between 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. (excluding holidays).