shadow image shadow image

Contractor License

Q: What type of work requires a contractors license in Polk County?

A: The following type of work requires a contractors license in Polk County

  • General Contracting
  • Building Contracting
  • Residential Contracting
  • Air Conditioning
  • Mechanical
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Roofing
  • Aluminum
  • Irrigation
  • Commercial Pool/Spa
  • Residential Pool/Spa
  • Pool/Spa Service and Repair
  • Natural and LP Gas
  • Demolition
  • Alarm
  • Sheet Metal
  • Solar Water Heating
  • Underground Utility
  • Mobile Home Set Up
  • Marine Structures

Failure to obtain required licenses is a violation of Polk County Ordinance 02-03 and Florida statute and is punishable by a fine of up to $500 for each violation.

For information on obtaining the above licenses contact the Polk County Building Division,Contractor Licensing Section, in the Polk County Administration Building located at 330 West Church Street, Bartow, FL. Phone (863) 534-6492, 6530 or 6080. 

Q: As a state certified contractor, what do I need to do to register my license in Polk County to pull permits?

A: You will need to submit the following:

  • Copy of current state certification (from Department of Business and Professional Regulation).
  • Copy of current occupational license from county or city where business is located.
  • General liability insurance certificate, with Polk County Building Division shown as certificate holder.
  • Workers compensation insurance certificate with Polk County Building Division shown as certificate holder, or a workers compensation exemption.
  • Current mailing address, telephone and fax number.
  • Clerical fee - $25.00  

Q:  I am a Registered or County Specialty Licensed Contractor with the State of Florida.  How do I register with Polk County to pull permits?

A:  Submit the following to Contractor Licensing.

  1. A Copy of current business tax receipt from the city or county in which your business is located.
  2. A Certificate of insurance for general liability and workers’ compensation as required by law.  A current W/C exemption will be accepted in lieu of a W/C certificate if you have no employees. Insurance certificates must indicate Polk County Building Division as the certificate holder.
  3. A Surety bond in the amount of, $5000.00 is also needed (See County forms for official bond verification). You are required to obtain a letter of  reciprocity from your sponsoring municipality. The required score for the business law and trade examinations must be a minimum of 75% or better in order to work in Polk County; In addition you must be in good standing with your sponsoring municipality.
  4. Current business mailing address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address.
    A Clerical fee of $150.00 payable by cash, check, or credit card ($75.00 for one year ¬ if registering during an even year)

Note:  Your registration must be renewed every two years on the odd years in conjunction with your state license renewal.  You are responsible for assuring that current documents are maintained throughout the registration period.  The expiration of any of the above documents will render your registration inactive.

 Q:  As a Contractor is there a list of all the permits pulled using my Contractor ID?

A: Go to the Project/Permit/Contractor Licenses Status viewer at .  Once there click on the Contractor Licenses link, insert your Contractor ID number and press Proceed, then press the Details button next to your name.  A new window will appear allowing you to press the "Show all My Permits" button.  A list of permit numbers and the statuses of the permits will be listed in date order.  


For all other questions please contact the Building Division,Contractor Licensing Section by phone (863-534-6080); or fax (863-534-5922). The office hours are Monday-Friday between 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. (excluding holidays).

  • * Not responsible for translated content

Social Media

We enhance the quality of life for people throughout Polk County
The Polk County Board of County Commissioners is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Polk County Board of County Commissioners | 330 West Church Street | P.O. Box 9005 | Bartow, FL 33830 | 863.534.6000