shadow image shadow image

Waste & Recycling Division

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions that we hope will address your concerns. If you need additional assistance, please call the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 or e-mail   

   Where do I place my cart on collection day?

Place your garbage cart within five (5) feet of the curb or street and make sure the handles face away from the street.

~ Return to top ~

When is my collection/service day? 

You can view the to Collection Day Map to determine your collection service day. If you need assistance, or would like more information, call the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 or (800) 780-5346.

 ~ Return to top ~

What if my collection day falls on a Holiday?

The landfill is closed and Garbage, Yard Waste and Recycling will not be collected on the following holidays:

  • New Years Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
If the Holiday falls on a weekday, then all collection days on that day and later are delayed by one day.

For example:  If the holiday falls on Monday, then Mondays collection will be on Tuesday, Tuesday collection on Wednesday, Wednesday collection 

on Thursday, Thursday collection on Friday and Friday service will be provided on Saturday. 

Your regular schedule will resume the following week.

~ Return to top ~  

What if my cart is damaged or stolen?

If your garbage cart was stolen, damaged, or needs to be replaced, please call the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319.

~ Return to top ~

What if I cannot roll the cart to the curb?  

If there are no able bodied adults living in the your home and you are unable to roll your garbage cart to the curb due to a disability, you may be eligible for special assistance. Please contact the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 for more information. ~ Return to top ~

What if the cart is not big enough to hold all of my garbage?

If you have excess garbage that will not fit in your garbage cart, you may place up to five (5) garbage bags of extra garbage next to your garbage cart up to four (4) times per year. If you do not already have the 95 Gallon cart, you can request a larger cart by contacting the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319. If this still does not accommodate your garbage needs, you can request an additional garbage cart by contacting the Waste & Recycling Division.

 ~ Return to top ~

How do I handle bulky items?

The following items are examples of what will be picked up curbside at no additional fee within 72 business hours of notification:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Furniture
  • Freezers
  • Refrigerators
  • Stoves
  • Washing Machines
  • Televisions
  • Carpet
It is the responsibility of the route driver to tag and report bulk items set out curbside for collection, but the customer may also contact the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 to notify us of bulky items out for collection.

~ Return to top ~

Why wasn't my garbage cart emptied?

If the container was at the curb by 6 a.m. and not serviced, check the container for an educational tag explaining why the material could not be collected.  If there is no tag, call the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 to report a missed collection. ~ Return to top ~

I just purchased the home and the previous owners took their cart, how do I get a new one?

Call  the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 to request a new one.

~ Return to top ~

Can I get extra garbage carts and/or recycling bins?

Yes. You can call the Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 or you can email to request an additional garbage cart or recycling bin at no additional fee.

 ~ Return to top ~

  • * Not responsible for translated content

Social Media

We enhance the quality of life for people throughout Polk County
The Polk County Board of County Commissioners is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Polk County Board of County Commissioners | 330 West Church Street | P.O. Box 9005 | Bartow, FL 33830 | 863.534.6000