ONCE PER WEEK PICK UP!
Place It ALL by the Curb on YOUR Day!
There's a new can in town!
You should have received your NEW garbage cart. If you didn't receive a cart, call (863) 284-4319.
- single-day, once-per-week collection of all garbage, recycle and yard waste
- new 95-gallon garbage carts assigned to each address for all household garbage
- automated garbage collection
It's easy! Place all garbage, recycle and yard waste by the curb on your collection day.
Automated Garbage Collection:
- Residents will receive a 95-gallon garbage cart for all household trash.
- A special vehicle is equipped with a lifting mechanism that reaches out to the waste cart, lifts and empties the container returning the cart to its original position.
- NO OTHER container may be used for trash.
Waste Pickup Schedule. Landfill is Closed on Major Holidays, collection service will be delayed by one day. (see holiday schedule below)
- All waste collection takes place between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- All garbage, recycle and yard waste should be placed curb-side either the night before or by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- View the following map to see your assigned collection day based on area. Collection Day Map
- Place all garbage inside your new 95-gallon cart.
- Place the cart within five (5) feet of the curb or street.
- Make sure the handles face away from the street.
- Garbage not inside the cart will not be picked up.
- Too much trash for your cart? See "Big" Trash Days for Instructions.
If you have a long driveway and need something to help transport you new cart to the road, we have a couple of solutions. We currently have in stock the Chore Saver, www.choresaver.com or the Can Sporter, www.cansporter.com. For a small deposit, you can rent one of these items from our office to make your trash day easier. After visiting the website, please contact our office for more information.
"Big" Trash Days
We understand there will be times when you produce more garbage than fits in your cart.
You may choose four (4) times per year you may place up to five (5) garbage bags of extra waste next to your new cart. Please call Republic Services before your scheduled trash day to let them know you will have extra trash. Trash must be in bags and set beside your garbage cart.
If you have extra trash bags more often, call Waste & Recycling Division at (863) 284-4319 to request an additional cart.
Routine Yard Waste Maintained By Homeowners
Polk County provides weekly collection of routine yard waste for homeowners who maintain their own yards. All yard waste generated by commercial/professional landscapers, including, but not limited to land clearing, tree trimming and removal, or other clippings and waste is not included in your weekly routine pickup. This has been excluded from the county's collection contract. Your commercial/professional landscaper is expected to provide hauling services for you.
- Do not mix garbage and yard waste.
- Place loose yard waste (grass clippings, leaves and small twigs) in paper or plastic lawn and leaf bags or use your old garbage container.
- Place branches and tree trimmings in a neat stack near the curb.
- For large piles (more than the size of a pickup truck bed), call (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045 to arrange for collection.
Large or Bulky Items
The following items will be picked up curbside within 72 hours of notifying Republic Services at (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045:
- Air Conditioners
- Washing Machines
- Televisions (or they can be recycled at our Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
Unacceptable Trash Items:
Do NOT place the following materials in your garbage cart or at the curb. If any of these items are found in your cart, the cart will be tagged with an instructional notice and not serviced. Call (863) 284-4319 for proper disposal information.
- Trees - Generated by commericial/professional landscapers
- Land Clearing Debris - Generated by commericial/professional landscapers
- Construction Materials
- Automobile Parts
- Radioactive Materials
- Explosives, including propane cylinders
- Biomedical Waste, including sharps/syringes used for medical purposes
- Hazardous Wastes, such as:
- Lead-Acid Batteries
- Used Oil or Oil Filters
- Any product labeled:
Rinse and place recyclables in yellow recycle bins beside your garbage cart. Need more yellow recycle bins? Call (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045. Click here for more recycle information.
- All Non-Food Contaminated Paper and Paperboard (junk mail, newspaper, cereal boxes, etc.)
- Plastic Containers #1-6 (water and soda bottles, milk and detergent jugs, butter and yogurt tubs, etc.)
- Steel and Aluminum Cans
- Clear and Colored Glass, but NO ceramic mugs, mirrors or window panes
- Flatten all cardboard into 3 x 3 pieces.
The landfill is closed and Garbage, Yard Waste and Recycling will not be collected on the following holidays:
If the Holiday falls on a weekday, then all collection days on that day and later are delayed by one day.
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
For example: If the holiday falls on Monday, then Mondays collection will be on Tuesday, Tuesday collection on Wednesday, Wednesday collection on Thursday, Thursday collection on Friday and Friday service will be provided on Saturday.