- Be classified as a conditionally exempt small quantity generator (CESQG)
- Produce less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste monthly (about 25 gallons)
- Cannot have more than 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste on site (about five 55-gal drums)
To determine if you are a CESQG, estimate the waste you produce each month and inventory the hazardous waste you currently have onsite.
Downloadable Full Color Small Business Disposal Program Brochure with program details
Types of Wastes Accepted:
The types of wastes accepted are listed in our price sheet. They include spent solvents, waste paint, used oil, corrosives, fluorescent lamps, aerosol cans, batteries and more. Unknown wastes will not be accepted.
Container Sizes & Amounts
All containers must be in good condition and properly labeled with the contents. When necessary, hazardous wastes will be packaged into Department of Transportation approved containers at an extra cost.
Hazardous waste will be accepted in containers up to 5 gallons in size and no more than 1,000 pounds at one time. Call for containers over 5 gallons. Used oil will be accepted in containers up to 55 gallons and no more than 55 gallons at one time.
Registering for the Program
If your business is classified as a conditionally exempt small quantity generator of hazardous waste and would like to participate in this program, you will need to complete a Registration Form and Inventory Sheet. Packets can also be requested by calling 863-284-4319. Return the completed forms to:
Polk County Waste Resources Management
Attn: HW Collection for Small Businesses
10 Environmental Loop South
Winter Haven, FL 33880
863-284-4319 ext. 203
Email: Andrea Stermer
After the application has been submitted and reviewed, a Polk County employee will call you and may need to schedule an onsite visit. The visit is done to confirm the types of wastes generated at the facility and to ensure that the facility is classified as a conditionally exempt small quantity generator. At that time a disposal cost estimate will be provided.
Scheduling an Appointment
Appointments must be made in advance. They are scheduled Monday through Friday (except Wednesday). If a facility requires a site visit, the appointment will be made during that visit.
Disposal fees are based on the type of waste you bring to the facility. You will be charged for the full volume of the container, regardless of how full the container is.
Delivery of Hazardous Waste/Payment
- Transportation must be provided by the business. A CESQG is allowed under the law to transport their waste.
- On appointed date/time, deliver waste to:
5 Environmental Loop South
Winter Haven FL, 33880
Follow the signs to the "Household Hazardous Waste Facility"
- Staff will inspect each container of waste, comparing it to your inventory sheet. A final disposal cost will be provided during this time. Payments must be made by cash, a local check or credit card at the time of disposal.
- A "Hazardous Waste Disposal Receipt" will be provided after payment for your records. Receipt will need to be retained for at least three years per Florida Administrative Code 62-730.030(3)
- Additional reimbursements of disposal costs may occur if delivered waste dropped off was not what was represented by the business.