Polk County Veterans Services serves all former, present, and future Armed Forces of the United States and their dependents who are citizens of Polk County. All services are provided and rendered without charge to citizens of Florida under Florida Statute FS 292.05. Polk County Veterans Service officers are available to provide veterans and their dependents with free veterans administration related assistance.
Veterans discharged under conditions other than dishonorable and service members who die while on active duty may be eligible for the following burial benefits:
- Burial in a National Cemetery
- Government furnished Headstone or Marker
- Presidential Memorial Certificate
- Burial Flag
- Reimbursement *
* Reimbursement depends on if eligibility is established and the veteran was entitled at the time of death to VA pension or VA compensation benefits. Eligibility may also be established if the veteran died while hospitalized or domiciled in a VA facility.
Compensation benefits are payable to veterans for disabilities resulting from injury or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, not the result of misconduct and discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
If a service-connected disability caused or materially contributed to a veteran's death, DIC benefits may be paid to:
- Non remarried surviving spouse
- Children under 18 and prior to 23 if attending VA approved school
- Child of any age who incapable of self-support prior to the age of 18
Education and Training
Montgomery GI Bill: Active Duty and Selective Reserve Participants have multiple specific categories, options and qualification criteria. However, no matter what program or category the applicant falls under, the service member have:
- Honorable discharge
- Complete high school
Please contact a County Veterans Service officer for detailed information.
Home Loan Guarantees
VA loan guarantees are made to service members:
- Service Members
- Unmarried Surviving Spouses
These loans are for the purchase of homes, condominiums and manufactured homes. The VA guarantees part of the loan up to $417,000 with no down payment required. Loans in excess of this or for manufactured homes may require a down payment. The loans are made by private lenders, such as mortgage companies, banks, etc. The home loan guarantee can be used or restored, once a previous VA guaranteed loan is paid in full.
There are currently eight VA life insurance programs. Only four of these programs are currently open to new issues, these programs are:
- Service Disabled Veterans Insurance *
- Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance *
- Service Member's Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
- Veterans Group Life Insurance
* Programs are specifically designed for disabled veterans.
For detailed information please contact a County Veterans Service Officer.
Pension benefits are payable for veterans who served during wartime periods and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions after 90 days of service (or separated from service earlier as the result of a service-connected disability), and/or persons who are permanently and totally disabled for reasons not related to service, not due to willful misconduct or vicious habits, and how have limited income. Pension may not be payable to those who have estates that can provide adequate maintenance.
There are two major programs for survivor entitlement, they are:
- The Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
- Death Pension Program
These programs may be available for surviving spouses. Both programs have specific criteria. Please contact a County Veterans Service Officer for detailed information.
Veterans may qualify for vocational rehabilitation if they served in the Armed Forces and have discharge that is other than dishonorable and:
- They have a service-connected disability rated 20% or more;
- They have a service-connected disability rated at 10% that results in a serious employment handicap that necessitate vocational rehabilitation
Have Questions ?
For all other questions please contact Polk County Veterans Services by phone (863-534-5220); or fax (863-534-7378). The office hours are Monday-Friday between 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. (excluding holidays).