The Polk County Board of Adjustment is comprised of seven members and two alternates that are appointed by the Polk County Board of County Commissioners. The Board of Adjustment has the authority to consider and grant, grant with conditions, or deny requests for variances from the Land Development Code. The board may also approve or deny requests for special exceptions (truck parking) and temporary special exceptions (mobile home for medical hardship).
The Polk County Board of Adjustment meets on the fourth Thursday of each month in the County Commission Boardroom. The meetings begin at 1:30 p.m. and end when all cases on the agenda have been heard.
Polk County Meetings and Agendas
- Ryan Lewman, alternate, Dec. 6, 2018
- Michael D. Finch, vice chair, April 7, 2018
- Craig E. Burke, June 16, 2018
- Keith V. Ward, Sr., Oct. 4, 2019
- Nicholas Staszko, Aug. 30, 2018
- Stephanie Catlett, secretary, Dec. 19, 2018
- Carol Sue Imbody, vice chair, Aug. 31, 2019
- Amilee M. Stuckey, alternate, Jan. 9, 2021
- Mark Scolnick, alternate, Dec. 19, 2018
- J. C. Martin, chair, Feb. 3, 2021
Qualifications for Board Members / How to Apply
The Polk County Board of County Commissioners appoints seven members and two alternates to the Board of Adjustment. Three-year terms are limited to two full-length consecutive terms, and a maximum of eight years, if the initial appointment is less than three years.
Members of the Polk County Board of Adjustment should represent the following areas:
- AICP certified planner
- Licensed professional engineer
- Surveyor and mapper
- Architect or landscape architect
- Natural or environmental specialist
- A farmer, rancher, or an Individual Involved in Other Aspects of Agriculture
- A Business person, who may include a:
- Licensed Realtor
- Licensed general contractor
Links to Documents
2018 BOA Hearing Schedule
2017 BOA Hearing Schedule
Land Use Cases
For more information, contact Brigitte D’Orval, or Mary Ann Simmons, in the Land Development Division at (863) 534-6792.