Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
Is your neighborhood prepared?
The Community Emergency Response Team program educates residents about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area. But CERT doesn't stop there. It also trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. The team members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.
What is Cert?
If a major disaster hits, do you:
- have enough supplies for a minimum of 72 hours up to an entire month for all family members, including pets?
- know how to turn off the gas?
- know how to safely turn off the power?
- know how to apply first aid?
- have enough water for all of your family and your pets?
- have provisions for living outside your home for a length of time if the structure is compromised?
It is important to know, if a major disaster occurs, the local fire departments, paramedics, police will not come. They will be deployed first to major incidents such as collapsed buildings.
CERT members are trained in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster medical operations. You will learn how to prepare for emergencies, what supplies you should already have in your house, how much food, how much water and how to protect your family in an emergency.
(863) 534-CERT (2378)
Polk County Fire Rescue
PO Box 1458
Bartow, FL 33881