Household Waste

Automated Household Waste Collection

A special vehicle, equipped with a lifting mechanism, reaches out to the roll cart, lifts and empties the container returning the cart to its original position.

Residents receive a garbage roll cart for all household trash, but that roll cart may be exchanged for a different size 35- or 65- or 95-gallon cart. To request a roll cart change, submit the Cart Exchange Form or call 863-284-4319.

Guidelines for Household Waste collection:

  • Place all household waste inside your garbage roll cart
  • Position the garbage roll cart so the lid opens to the street
  • No other container may be used for household waste
  • Garbage roll cart must be within three feet of the curb or edge of the street
  • Garbage roll cart must be at least three feet from other fixed objects
  • Too much trash for your cart? See Bulk Waste

Note: To minimize litter in front of your home, make sure your garbage roll cart lid is closed

If you have a long driveway and need something to help transport your roll cart to the road, we have a couple of solutions. We currently have in stock the Chore Saver, or the Can Sporter, For a small deposit, you can rent one of these items from our office to make your collection day easier. After visiting the website, please contact our office for more information

How do I get an additional roll cart for garbage? - show / hide

Fill out the lease application online or at the Waste & Recycling Administrative Office. Additional carts will be distributed beginning January 2018. Each household may have one additional cart.

Bring your application and payment to the Waste & Recycling Administrative Office at 10 Environmental Loop S. in Winter Haven. Cash, check, and credit cards will be accepted forms of payment.

  • Cost: $67 One-time lease fee (non-refundable)
  • $38 Annual Disposal* Fee

*Disposal Fees for the first year will be prorated based on the month the cart is leased. All fees must be paid prior to an additional cart being delivered.

Polk County Seal

The Polk County Board of County Commissioners is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.

Polk County Board of County Commissioners