Virtual Inspections Available
Polk County has partnered with VuSpex to provide our customers with the ability to conduct building inspections virtually. For details click the VuSpex logo below or visit our VuSpex information page.
The Building Division in the County Administration Building in Bartow is open for business.
- Drop off service for hard copy plans at the Building Division County Administration location only
- Same day residential walk through permitting. See below for hours of operation and other details
- Call ahead service for approved hard copy plan pick up is recommended - (863) 534-6535
- Building and Land Development application assistance through the use of one of Polk's four kiosk systems available to the public
Additional Online and Remote Services:
- Access to schedule virtual, offline and onsite inspections.
- Performing approved virtual/offline inspections as listed at www.polk-county.net/building/virtual-inspections
- Performing onsite inspections scheduled through the Accela permitting system
- Permitting online through the Accela Citizen Portal at www.polk-county.net/aca
- Submittal of digitally signed and sealed plans uploaded through the Accela permitting System
- Customer assistance with permitting questions by phone at (863) 534-6080 or by email at BuildingDivision@polk-county.net
- For land use and planning related questions, the Planner-on-Call is available in person, by phone (863) 534-6084, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Same Day Residential Walk Through Permitting
Walk-Through Residential Permitting Business Hours:
- Applications with plans: 8 a.m. to noon.
- Mobile home applications: 8 a.m. to noon.
- Applications without plans: 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Permit applications must be complete prior to entering the permit lobby queue and meeting the cutoff times listed above. Cut-off times may be adjusted as needed, depending on volume and staffing levels.
Customers are allowed to:
- Walk-through up to three permits with plans at a time, up to a maximum of six same-day plan reviews per day, or
- Walk-through up to three permits without plans at a time, or
- Walk-through up to two mobile home set-up permits at a time up to a maximum of four per day.
Although we will make every effort to issue walk-through permits by the close of business, those clients arriving close to the cut-off time when the lobby is full, or with multiple permit applications may be asked to return the next business day to finish the permitting process. Also, anyone seeking to walk-through a permit will not be allowed to drop it off and return later in the day.
Applicants needing help navigating Accela’s registration, or any other assistance, should call (863) 534-6080. Polk County thanks you for your patience and understanding during this critical time in our country.
Lobby Avg Wait TimesBartow Location Only
Application Cut-off TimesAll Locations
(Must be in the queue)
- Residential With Plans: Noon
- Mobile Home Setup: Noon
- Residential Without Plans: 1:30 p.m.
- Permit Tech on Call – (863) 534-6080, BuildingDivision@polk-county.net
Permitting process or requirements inquiries.
- Planner on Call - (863) 534-6084, PlannerOnCall@polk-county.net
Land Development regulations inquiries.
- Cashier – (863) 534-6535
Pay permitting fees by phone or add funds to an escrow account.
- Contractor Licensing – (863) 534-6530, ContractorLicensing@polk-county.net
For licensing questions or to file a contractor complaint.
- Re-open expired permits – ExpiredPermits@polk-county.net
- Interim Building Official – Ryan Wiggins, (863) 534-6528
Phone: (863) 534-6080
Toll Free: (800) 780-5346
330 W. Church St.
Bartow, FL 33830
Office Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Second and Fourth Tuesdays:
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Residential Permitting Services Only
Not open to the public at this time.