Do I Need a Permit?
Steps to Permitting
Basic information needed for the building permit application will include:
- Owner’s name
- Property address and Parcel ID Number (can be obtained from the Polk Property Appraiser’s website)
- Directions to the property and gate code (if applicable)
- Description of work (what you’re planning to do)
- Total value of work
Please note, all information listed above must be provided and additional information may need to be provided depending on the type of permit being requested.
Upload or deliver required plans and supporting plan documentation (pay applicable fees) construction documents, a statement of special inspections and other data shall be submitted with each application for a permit. The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered design professional where required by Chapter 471, Florida Statutes or Chapter 481, Florida Statutes.
At a minimum, two sets of the following shall be submitted for commercial, industrial, multi-family, trade, one and two-family residential:
- Individual Lot Plot Plan
- Proof of Approved Site Construction Plan (Level 2)
- Foundation Plan
- Floor/Roof Framing Plan or Truss Layout
- All Exterior Elevations
- Floor Plan
Have plans reviewed and approved
Upload documents required prior to permit issuance (pay applicable fees)
The items below are not required prior to plan review; however, they must be submitted prior to any permit issuance:
- Construction Waste/Setback Form
- Primary Contractor Info
- Sub-Contractor Info
- Additional documents may be required based on scope of work, type of application – applicant (owner/builder, contractor) will be notified of other required documents, i.e., flood certificate, letter of authorization, etc.
Permit issued. After permit issuance, a recorded Notice of Commencement (NOC) or other documents may be required prior to inspections.
Caution: Per Florida Statutes 125.022 and 166.033, the issuance of this Building Permit does not exempt the applicant from obtaining all permits or approvals required by State or Federal agencies. Proof of said permits must be provided to the Building Division prior to commencement of construction. Effective July 01, 2012
For questions or additional help, please call (863) 534-6080 and ask to speak to the Permit Tech On Call.
Building and Permitting Construction Fees
Building and permitting construction fees are listed in Construction Fees Resolution 17-025 which took effect on July 3, 2017. All construction permit fees are due at time of permit issuance.
Impact Fees Rate Schedules
On March 21, 2023, the Board of County Commissioners adopted new Transportation Impact Fees. The new rates went into effect on July 1, 2023.
Transportation Zones Map
Codes, Ordinances and Statutes
Forms and Documents
- Add Contact to Existing Permit
- Agricultural Exemption Affidavit
- Associated User Form
- Change of Primary Contractor
- Concrete Driveway Paver Release Form
- Contractor Change Request
- Expired Permit Notice and Extension Renewal Request
- Green Swamp Verification Form
- Non-Conversion Agreement
- Notice of Commencement
- Owner Builder Disclosure Statement
- Owner Builder Flood Hazard Notice
- Owner Builder Pre-Power Request Form
- Permitting and Plans Review Guide
- Public Record Exemption Request
- Revision to Construction Plans and Documents
- Roof Affidavit
- Temporary Shelter Affidavit
- Window Doors Affidavit
Utilities Code - Standards and Specifications
Navigate to the county’s e-Newsletter page to register for future updates to the Utilities Code and reference manuals. Once you have created your login, complete your contact information and select Utilities under Your Interests. This will ensure that you are notified of any future updates to the Utilities Code as a registered holder of the documents pursuant to Ordinance 10-081.
- Utilities Code Enacting Ordinance 10-081
- 6B USSM Chapter 0 Table of Contents
- 6A Administration Manual
- 6B USSM Chapter 1 General Information
- 6B USSM Chapter 2 Development Coordination
- 6B USSM Chapter 3 General Requirements
- 6B USSM Chapter 3 General Requirements Standard Drawings
- 6B USSM Chapter 4 Potable Water
- 6B USSM Chapter 4 Potable Water Standard Drawings
- 6B USSM Chapter 5 Wastewater
- 6B USSM Chapter 5 Wastewater Standard Drawings
- 6B USSM Chapter 6 Reclaimed Water
- 6B USSM Chapter 6 Reclaimed Water Standard Drawings
- 6B USSM Chapter 7 SCADA Standards
- 6C Cross Connection Control Policy Manual
- 6D Reclaimed Water Policy Manual
- 6E Industrial Wastewater Pretreatment Policy Manual
- 6F Water Conservation Manual
- 6G Fats Oils and Grease Policy Manual