For misdemeanor offenses, the Polk County Probation section of Polk County Court Services offers convicted defendants an alternative to jail cells. Staff members within the division monitor assigned defendants for compliance with their probation conditions. The division also performs several other functions, which include:
- Interviewing individuals after arrest for first appearance hearings.
- Providing information to the Court for first appearance hearings.
- Monitoring and supervising defendants on pretrial release conditions.
- Monitoring assigned defendants for compliance with their probation conditions.
- Collecting victim restitution and supervision fees.
- Referring probationers to counseling and resource agencies when necessary.
- Assigning probationers community service hours to worksites in the county.
- Overseeing court-ordered electronic monitoring of defendants.
The main office for Court Services is located in Bartow. The division has branch offices in Lakeland and Lake Alfred to meet the misdemeanor probation needs in those areas.