Skip to main content

Indigent Health Care and Resources

Home / Services / Indigent Health Care

Joy Johnson
Health and Human Services Administrator

Phone: (863) 533-1111
Toll Free: (800) 780-5346


Street Address: 2135 Marshall Edwards Dr. Bartow, FL 33830 Office Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Polk County’s Indigent Health Care (IHC) section is responsible for the delivery of quality health care to the indigent and medically underserved residents of the county. The programs in Indigent Health Care are collectively referred to as the county’s healthcare safety net program, most of which are funded through the half-cent sales surtax for indigent healthcare.(F.S. 212.0055 (7))

The Polk County Board of County Commissioners created the Citizens Healthcare Oversight Committee. This committee is responsible for monitoring the spending of surtax funds and providing a setting for residents to participate in healthcare planning. Visit the Citizens Healthcare Oversight Committee page for upcoming meetings and agendas.

Free or Low-Cost Medical Care

If you are a Polk County resident who has little or no-income and are without health coverage or insurance, or are waiting to qualify for Medicaid, then the Polk HealthCare Plan may be for you. For community healthcare resources not covered by the Polk HealthCare Plan, please call customer service at (863) 533-1111.

Burial and Cremation Program

The Burial and Cremation Program ensures that every eligible resident of Polk County without adequate resources will receive simple but dignified burial services or cremation.

Free Health Services

The Polk HealthCare Plan and the Department of Health in Polk have partnered to deliver free health services and screenings, including free healthcare, eligibility screenings and plan enrollment to the communities throughout the county via a mobile unit. For upcoming events, please go to the events section of our website.

Diabetes Nutrition Education

Diabetes nutrition education classes are available to all Polk residents through a partnership with UF/IFAS Extension Polk County. Upcoming events can be found at here or

Other Community Resources

United Way 211 is a toll-free call to 211 that connects you to a community resource specialist who can put you in touch with local organizations that provide critical services. You’ll find information about supplemental food and nutrition programs, shelter and housing options, and utilities assistance.