Skip to main content

Code Enforcement FAQs

Home / Public Safety / Code Enforcement / Code Enforcement FAQs

Not as of July 1, 2021, per F.S.S. 162.06 (b) – Enforcement procedure. New Legislation passed, effective July 1, 2021, requiring the complainant to provide their legal name and address. For additional information, please see:

Within 7-10 business days, or as soon as possible, depending on severity of issue reported. It could be longer depending on staffing levels.

No. You will need to hire a private company at your own expense.

Yes. F.S.S. 162 allows for this on first offense cases, recurring violations and repeat offenses. For additional information see Polk County Special Magistrate Ordinance 08-047 (as amended).

There could be many different reasons. For additional information, please e-mail: or call (863) 534-6054, if you are unable to reach the case Investigator.

Once a complaint case (CEC) is investigated and is closed out as unfounded/no violation or converted to a violation case (CMA – Magistrate, CNU – Nuisance, CBW – Bulk Waste), that information is not available for public access without an official public records request. There may be sensitive information that is required to be redacted prior to the case information being released to the public. For additional information, please e-mail: or call (863) 534-6054.

If the tree if found to be on your property, you may be held responsible. This is a civil matter. Please contact an attorney of your choice or seek legal counsel.

As early as 6:00 a.m. for an approved permitted project and until 9:00 p.m. See Polk County Noise Control Ordinance 14-030, section 10 – Exemptions.

In certain instances when the fence is 8′ or higher, or a solid wall. For more information on permitting click You may also e-mail: or call (863) 534-6080. See the current land development code requirements:

For an interior inspection of the structure, the person allowing entry must be over 18 years old and have legal control of the property at the time of the inspection. This means ownership or tenancy and can legally sign to authorize staff entry for an inspection. Otherwise, anyone can call and report unsafe conditions on the exterior of a structure.

Per F.S.S. 162, a reasonable amount of time to correct is required to be afforded to the owner/occupant. This varies between cases and in different situations. There are always exceptions. We always try to work with anyone who is working to bring the violation into compliance. Some cases take longer than others. Building and Land Development matters can take an extended amount of time to correct, depending on application processes, engineering, permitting and special hearings. The Special Magistrate can also grant additional time to correct.

Often, their caseload and prior scheduled commitments prevent this; however, they can usually schedule a time to come and meet with you or conduct an inspection within a few days, if the matter warrants an expedited response.

Yes, if certain criteria is met. For additional information or to apply for a special exemption, please call (863) 534-6084 or e-mail: See the current land development code requirements:

Yes; however, the RV is not allowed to be occupied. For additional information, please call (863) 534-6084 or e-mail: See the current land development code requirements: