Boards and Committees
Advisory groups play a critical role in Polk County's government. Some are required by state law and others were created by the Board of County Commissioners to be advisors in specific areas. Residents are encouraged to participate in these groups, or nominate those who want to serve. To express interest in joining a committee, call the Communications Division at (863) 534-6090, or complete and submit the application form.
- Board of County Commissioners
- Citizens Healthcare Oversight Committee
- Code Enforcement Special Magistrate
- Community Redevelopment Areas
- Contractor Licensing Board
- Development Review Committee
- Historical Commission
- Housing Finance Authority
- Industrial Development Authority
- Lakes Access Advisory Committee
- Land Use Hearing Officer
- Planning Commission
- Sidewalk Advisory Committee
- Tourist Development Council
- TPO Technical Advisory Committee
- Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating Board
- Transportation Planning Organization Board
Proposed Conservation/Environmental Lands Advisory Committee
In November 2022, Polk County voters approved a referendum to extend the dedication of funds to purchase and conserve environmentally sensitive lands. Your 0.20 mill ad valorem tax will be used to acquire, preserve, protect and manage Polk’s resources.
The county is in the process of drafting a resolution, to be approved by the Board in early 2023, defining the scope of the proceeds of the referendum and setting forth a volunteer lay committee to advise the Board on best uses for this tax. Details regarding qualifications to be on the committee, and a process for applying for the committee, will be published by February-March 2023.