The Polk County Historical Commission collects and preserves historical materials that relate to Polk County and Florida's history. The commission also works to develop and establish reliable and sustainable sources of public, private and enterprise funding to ensure the continued operation of the Polk County History Center. The historical commission also serves as an advisory commission to the Board of County Commissioners and the staff of the museum, library, and the historic preservation manager.
Unless otherwise announced, the Polk County Historical Commission meets on the fourth Thursday in January, March, May, and August, and on the third Thursday in October. The Historical Marker Committee meets at 2:30 p.m., followed by the full commission at 3 p.m. All meetings will be held in the 1926 Courtroom at the Polk County History Center, unless otherwise noticed.
- Seat 1, Commissioner Bill Braswell, Sept. 30, 2019, Annual Term
- Seat 2, Jinx Wilson Chaney, Oct. 1, 2019 - Sept. 30, 2022
- Seat 3, Janet Parham, Oct. 1, 2019 - Sept. 30, 2022
- Seat 4, Connie White, Oct. 1, 2019 - Sept. 30, 2022
- Seat 5, Judy B. Cleaves, Chairperson, Oct. 1, 2017 - Sept. 30, 2020
- Seat 6, Ruth Anne Witter-Maloy, Oct. 1, 2017 - Sept. 30, 2020
- Seat 7, AT- LARGE Harriet R. Rust, Oct. 1, 2017 - Sept. 30, 2020
- Seat 8, AT- LARGE Richard A. Fifer, Vice Chairperson, Oct. 1, 2018 - Sept. 30, 2021
- Seat 9, Gladys Roberts, Library Cooperative Coordinator, Oct. 1, 2018 - Sept. 30, 2021
- William Lloyd Harris, Historian to the Polk County Historical Commission
Qualifications for Board Members / How to Apply
The Polk County Historical Commission includes nine members, who are electors of Polk and who are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners.
Members shall serve initial staggered terms. Thereafter, members shall serve staggered terms of three years each. Vacancies shall be filled by the County Commission for the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment. Members may be reappointed to serve one additional term.