The Polk County Historical Commission collects and preserves historical materials that relate to Polk County and Florida's history. The commission also works to develop and establish reliable and sustainable sources of public, private and enterprise funding to ensure the continued operation of the Polk County History Center. The historical commission also serves as an advisory commission to the Board of County Commissioners and the staff of the museum, library, and the historic preservation manager.
Unless otherwise announced, the Polk County Historical Commission meets at 4:15 p.m. every other month, on the fourth Thursday, in the History Center.
- Seat 1, Commissioner Bill Braswell, Sept. 30, 2018
- Seat 2, Jennifer Bush, Chairperson, Sept. 30, 2019
- Seat 3, Janet Parham, Sept. 30, 2019
- Seat 4, Connie White, Sept. 30, 2019
- Seat 5, Judy B. Cleaves, Vice Chairperson, Sept. 30, 2020
- Seat 6, Ruth Anne Witter-Maloy, Sept. 30, 2020
- Seat 7, AT- LARGE Harriet R. Rust, Sept. 30, 2020
- Seat 8, AT- LARGE S. L. Frisbie IV, Sept. 30, 2018
- Seat 9, Gladys Roberts, Library Cooperative Coordinator, Sept. 30, 2018
- William Lloyd Harris, Historian to the Polk County Historical Commission
Qualifications for Board Members / How to Apply
The Polk County Historical Commission includes nine members, who are electors of Polk and who are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners.
Members shall serve initial staggered terms. Thereafter, members shall serve staggered terms of three years each. Vacancies shall be filled by the County Commission for the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment. Members may be reappointed to serve one additional term.
For more information, call Myrtice Young at (863) 534-4385, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.